Richmond Home


What do I do if I am sick, injured, or have medical questions or concerns?

Students are encouraged to call and speak directly to a registered nurse about their symptoms through our Dial-A-Nurse system at 804-289-8700. After evaluating the history and symptoms, the nurse will advise the most appropriate action.

When is the Student Health Center open?

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8:30 a.m.–noon and 1–4:30 p.m. Wednesday: 10:00–noon and 1:00–4:30 p.m.

Do I need an appointment?

Students can now log onto their SpiderHealth Web Portal using their NetID and password to self-schedule appointments, access lab results, billing information, immunizations and complete medical forms.

What if I think I have a medical emergency or need assistance after SHC hours?

See the  after-hours care  page of the website.

Where is the SHC located?

On the first floor of the Special Programs Building (#31), next to the police station.

If I have a general question about services or medical records at the SHC, what number do I call?

Call the front desk at (804) 289-8064.

Who is eligible to use the SHC?

All full-time University of Richmond students are eligible for services at the SHC.

Is there a place to park at the SHC?

Yes. There are three student designated parking spaces and three “Health Center Visitor” parking spaces in front of the Special Programs Building.

Will there be any charges when I visit the SHC?

Only if you receive vaccinations, allergy shots, require laboratory testing, or a few other services. Our staff will advise you of these charges in advance of providing such services. All charges are billed to the student's account. Statements are available on the Student's Health Center Web Portal and can be access to submit for insurance reimbursement. 

Does the SHC file with my insurance company when I have charges?

No. The SHC does not submit insurance claims. Statements are available on the Student's Health Center Web Portal and can be access to submit for insurance reimbursement. 

What if I don't have health insurance and need coverage while at UR?

See information about obtaining health insurance.

Are excuse notes provided by the SHC for missed classes or missed assignments?

The Student Health Center (SHC) does not provide excuse notes for illness or injury which may lead to class absences, the need for extensions on assignments or rescheduling of tests and exams. This allows us to dedicate our resources to providing care to our patients and is consistent with University policy, which states the health center does NOT provide “medical excuse” notes for students. To view the University’s full policy, please visit the Registrar’s website:

If the health issue(s) prompting your visit to the SHC has impacted your academic responsibilities, contact your professors and respective dean to discuss your concerns.

Dr. Lynne Deane, Medical Director

Dr. Alene Waller, Associate Medical Director
Dr. Ryan Ballum, Staff Physician

Why do I have a "hold" on my registration?

If you have a hold on your registration from the SHC, it is probably due to an incomplete Health History Record. When all completed documentation has been received in our office, the hold will be removed. If you have questions, call our front desk at 804-289-8064.

How do I get off campus for medical care?

See the transportation  page for details.

How do I apply for a medical withdrawal from UR?

Students withdrawing from UR must first notify their respective coordinate college dean. Read more about the medical withdrawal process.

I've graduated and need copies of my immunizations for grad school. How can I obtain them?
You may request records by downloading the medical release and faxing or mailing it to the SHC.