Norris Eastman Scholarship
The Norris Eastman Scholarship was established in 1996 by memorial gifts given in his name. The original criterion of the scholarship was to benefit a student studying health and sports science, which had an aquatic interest. In April 2001, it was changed to reflect changes within the health and sports science department. New criteria that closely fit Norris’s interests and passions at the University were designed.
Earnings from the principal of the fund will be awarded through the Office of Financial Aid as a tuition scholarship to a student attending the University of Richmond. The scholarship recipient will be nominated by the Manager, Health Education & Wellness according to the criteria described herein. If this position should change, then the nominator will be the Director of Recreation and Wellness or the Vice President for Student Affairs. The criteria are as follows:
- The individual is a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Richmond.
- The individual is a student who possesses an active interest in the health and wellness field and actively participates in two or more health and wellness campus extracurricular activities.
- The individual actively participates in a varsity sport (other than men’s football or basketball), club sport or intramural team.
- The individual possesses a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Students with financial need are preferred but not required.
- The individual is a student who displays good citizenship and acts in a manner that enhances the University’s program.
- The scholarship will be renewed as long as the student remains enrolled at the University of Richmond during their undergraduate years and maintains satisfactory academic citizenship.
Interested students should complete the scholarship application, as well as write a philosophy statement answering the following question: "What does wellness mean to me and what impact does it have on my life?" The philosophy statement should be no longer than 3 pages, double spaced.
Applications for the Norris scholarship are due by Monday, April 25, 2016 at 5 p.m. Please submit your wellness philosophy statement to Tracy Cassalia at email@example.com. Applications will not be considered if the philosophystatement is not submitted.
Students will be notified of a decision by May 9, 2016.