Richmond Home

After-Hours Resources

Emergency After-Hours Care

Call (804) 289-8911 for University Police and provide your name, exact location, and the nature of your emergency. Call even if you are uncertain as to whether it is a true emergency. Do not hesitate to get assistance. University Police will assist with medical and mental health emergencies, as well as sexual assault.

Non-Emergency After-Hours Care

Anytime the SHC is closed, help is available from Fonemed, a medical advice call line, by dialing 1-855-292-3373. The Fonemed Registered Nurse will assess your problems and direct you to the most appropriate care. 

Additionally, help is available from local medical facilities and off-campus medical providers . All charges for medical care received outside the Student Health Center are the student's responsibility. It is important that you become familiar with your medical insurance coverage and present your insurance card when requesting services. Your insurance provider may require you to contact your primary care physician for pre-approval or authorization.

For assistance in determining the need for emergency services, please contact University Police at (804) 289-8715.

Suicide Risk

If you are having thoughts of suicide or any type of self-harm—or if you witness, hear, or see anyone exhibiting suicidal warning signs—get help immediately.

If the risk seems imminent:

  • Call the UR Police (URPD) Emergency number (804) 289-8911. URPD will respond and involve other resources as needed. 
  • Other alternatives include calling 911 (especially if you are off campus), or going to the nearest emergency room (the closest ER to campus is St. Mary's Hospital).
  • The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK). Anyone may call this national hotline at any time regarding concerns about suicide risk for yourself or someone else.

If the risk does not seem imminent:

  • To get help for a UR student who may be at risk of suicide when the risk does not seem imminent, please relay your concerns as soon as possible via the secure online form
  • During weekdays, students or concerned others may consult with CAPS staff at (804) 289-8119.
Sexual Misconduct

Any situation in which a person does not provide consent for a sexual act is considered sexual misconduct. If you are a victim of sexual misconduct, seek help, as soon as possible. There are many resources available in our community for victims and others affected by sexual misconduct. Various actions may be considered sexual misconduct, and all are treated seriously. Learn more about how you can get involved in ending sexual misconduct in our community.